Our Lady of Lourdes Parish - Salasa, Bugallon
of our Lourdes Parish, located in Salasa, is an obscure parish. Very
little is known about it. This has been proven by the fact that during
the Cursillo Movement in 1965, our delegates were treated merely as
delegates of an unknown parish. The truth of the matter is that Salasa
today is very much alive and kicking. The celebration of the Christ
the King 1987 which was hosted by the parish is a proof that slowly,
it is gaining recognition.
is old name of our town n Bugallon. How the town got its name is quite
interesting and amusing. During the Spanish era, when the whole country
was being colonized, a Spaniard while tarrying asked him about the name
of his town in Spanish. It was just a mere coincidence that the carpenter
was placing the floor joist of his house when he was being interrogated.
He replied, SALASA (meaning floor joist in the dialect.) The Spaniard
wrote the word Salasa in his diary. When asked where he had come from
by his peers, the Spaniard answered SALASA which then spread like wildfire
among the Spaniards and the inhabitants. Since then, the town was called
as a town was founded between the years 1714-1747 by Fr. Antonio Perez.
During the Spanish regime, he church and state were under the control
of the priest. In 1720, the town was accepted as a vicariate by the
Dominican Orders but this was suspended due to hostilities prevailing
in those days. In 1733, the town was restored as a vicariate. The first
site of the poblacion was in Barangay Polong in the yard of Don Francisco
Valencerina where a concrete stable for the horse of thepriest was constructed.
It was transferred later to Baranggay Salasa on january 24, 1734 by
Fr. Fernando Garcia who draw a town plan in accordance with the national
pattern. The plaza was the center, Presedencia, north of the plaza,
the church and convent, south of the plaza, all surrounded by parallel
American Rule and series of events took place. In 1914, a big flood
visited Salasa, destroying crops, properties, building, etc. and wrought
untold miseries of the people. The mighty Agno River was continually
eroding its banks, threatening to destroy the presedencia and several
residential houses including perhaps the Church and convent. Authorities
were worried and lost no time in transferring the poblacion to Barangay
Annagao but in so doing, legend have it that all those carpenters that
dismantled the church in Salasa died one after the other. Adding confusion
to the authorities and the people those days was the fact that the image
of San Andres inside the church while being transferred to Anagao could
not be moved at all even by the combined forces of a group of weight
or by design the transfer of the church was called off. Whatever remains
the Church had, like little roofing and brick walls then restored to
its original position. The Church had to be maintained which is why
two churches existed in one town, one in Salasa and the other in Anagao.
year 1935, Doña Milagros Klar, wife of the late manager of Pantranco,
donated the image of Our lady of Lourdes to the Church in Salasa. This
was done out of gratitude because she was cured of her illness attributed
to her devotion to the Virgen Lourdes. That was the time when devotees
of the Lady came from the length and breadth of Pangasinan in that famous
fluvial procession along the Agno River. Since then the Klar family
visited Salasa on February 11th yearly. They began feeding so many people
and eventually February 11 became the feast day of Our lady of Lourdes
and the fiesta of Salasa, which is being continued up to this day.
town is Bugallon which is named after Gen. Jose Torres Bugallon, an
illustrious son who was born in Salasa. Such act changing Salasa an
old town to a new one, Bugallon had required a congressional approval
sponsored by the late Cong. Mauro Navarro, first district of Pangasinan.
Meanwhile, Salasa became a barangay but remains as Our Lady of Lourdes
Parish with eleven (11) barangays of the north. The other parish of
Bugallon, St. Andrew the Apostle comprises the southern barangays with
fourteen (14) barangay. It’s incredible, small town with two parishes.